Monday, February 14, 2011

1st half of February harvest

Main fruit or vegetables that were harvested in the first half of month February has been the yellow pear cherry and yellow tiny cherry tomatoes. Other tomato varieties and cucurbit produce has been decreasing since we had extreme hot weather. But last week the weather has cool down a little bit, all the effected or burned leaves has been pruned and new shoots has started to grow. The first week of February harvest there were many of tomatoes top that has been burned in the harvest photos. Bitter gourd unintentionally were harvested a bit mature with the sign of yellowish bottom. Australian Brown Onion grown from seeds had to be harvested even smallish size due to extreme hot weather that cause the plants to wilt.

Harvested 3 sweet corns but only Ilhan ate them all. Ilhan really like sweet corn and always wanted us to harvest the one still developing on the plants like to eat them fresh.
Harvested earliball small hybrid cabbage variety, Chinese broccoli, apple cucumber (had to harvest them early as the weather was so hot it ripen to quick turn yellowish) and some leeks (clearing the pot to sow another batch of Chinese broccoli).

I harvested some carrot that were growing in very heavy clay soil and was surprised to see that the roots can grow longer than I expected. Carrots that were grown in clay soil is so much paler than the ones grown in containers. We managed to hand-pollinated some zucchinies this month. I observed that leaf amaranth bolt very fast during extreme hot weather so have to harvest them frequently before it bolts.
There are some vegetable that were grown over winter that we can harvest this month such as leek, Chinese Celery and spring onion (the bulb has grown looking like white onion).
We are thankful with the opportunity of harvesting different variety of cucurbits this month such as button squash, zucchini and apple cucumber.
The ever reliable cut and come again KangKung (water spinach) that we grown in polystyrene containers. We have 4 polystyrene container that we used to grow KangKung to supply our kitchen. I would love to collect KangKung seeds this autumn but I wonder if it will ever flower here.
From ocean to our kitchen last Saturday are 9 squids that were caught by my hubby. We have better luck this year catching squids. I deep fried them with lemon basil for lunch.
What is your main harvest this 1st half of February?

25 comments:

PJ said...

What a lovely and varied harvest. Well done for growing in such difficult and hot conditions!

cikmanggis said...

masyallah.seronoknya.Rasa sekarang juga nak pergi cangkul tanah nak buat kebun hehe.Kebun Cm tak ada rezeki kali ini kecuali lobak putih.Sayur sayuran yang lain habis mati.Tapi takkan putus asa bila lihat hasil kebun Diana ni:)sumber inspirasi.Terima kasih.

Amy said...

I am impressed with all your veggies! You grow quite a variety.
Also, on my latest posting I have awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award. :)

Chloe m said...

I have never eaten squid. I bet they are delicious deep fried.
Enjoy your harvest, it is a bounteous one for sure! Good job.

Mary said...

I love squid! This is was bountyful harvest had, great job!

~Mary

Sue Garrett said...

Great harvest Diana but the squid made me squirm a bit.

kitsapFG said...

Beautiful and abundant harvest. Makes me hungry looking at it all.

Anonymous said...

The best squids I ever tasted were ones that my father used to catch some 20 years ago. There is nothing better than fresh squid directly from the sea put in a pan and fried. All ours were black from the ink and we used to eat fried ink with bread. Yum!

Mr. H. said...

I have never eaten squid...but you make it sound pretty good. Nice harvest.

Daphne Gould said...

Oh look at all those pretty harvests. I really makes me dream of summer. I can't wait until my snow melts and the ground thaws.

Shingo T said...

Must be fun growing what you eat. ^_^

Living in Singapore, I always see fruits and vegetables in the market, but never knew their source. What grows on trees? What grows on the ground, and what grows beneath it? Beats me!

p3chandan said...

You have such a good harvest Diana. Mine just tomatoes, terung, bendir and chillies. My kangkung is growing nicely, so hopefully can harvest them by end of February! I love sotong stir-fry with tumeric,salt and sliced big onions, so simple but delicious!

Barbie~ said...

Beautiful, and squid rings, YUMMY!

Michelle said...

What lovely summer vegetables you're harvesting! I have very little coming out of my garden right now, the over-wintering vegetables are mostly done and the spring ones aren't ready to be harvested yet. Fresh squid is delicious, every once in a while I find it fresh at the local fish market. It's caught locally and is very inexpensive, I don't know why I don't buy it more often.

Mark Willis said...

It was all going so well until I got to the bit about the squid... arrrggghhh! Give me the tomatoes any day.

Kat said...

Yum squid, they taste so nice freshly caught as well. All your harvest looks so wonderful!

shaz said...

What a fantastic harvest! Look at that squash, so imressive. You've really inspired me to try and get more of my vege garden happening. I'm going to build proper possum proof areas this weekend. Mmm, fresh squid sounds amazing.

One said...

Can I give you an award for the best harvest? :)

For me, it would be serai.

CathJ said...

wowww... this is the best harvest.. love to see all.. ^_^

Malar said...

Very good harvest! I always fail to collect my harvest as the monkeys are faster!

Stephanie said...

You deep fried the squid? I hope you did that with a machine not a wok. I had bad experience frying them in a wok. Squid fried with lemon basil sounds good.

I love corn eaten fresh ;-) And of course steamed corn also. Corn is one of my favourite grain.

Keep up with your bountiful harvest!

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Nice harvest... darat dan laut!!.

kitchen flavours said...

That's a fantastic harvest! So geram, seeing your wonderful veggies! You certainly have lots of varieties growing in your veggie garden! I only harvested the spring onions in the first half of February!

Lrong Lim said...

You are just amazing! That is a lot of stuff there!

eman90 said...

where did you buy zucchini seed in malaysia?